ANNUAL YOUNG ARTISTS/AUTHORS SHOWCASE
NSCA SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: February 26, 2016
The 2016 Theme: “Peace Through People”
Sister Cities aims to promote peace through mutual respect, understanding, and cooperation – one individual, one community at a time. This year’s theme, Connecting Communities for Peace and Prosperity, celebrates the Sister Cities mission. Sister Cities International founder President Dwight D. Eisenhower reasoned that, by becoming friends, people of different cultures could celebrate and appreciate differences. If people connect across national boundaries and get to know each other, their mutual respect and understanding can transform diplomatic relations and foster peace and prosperity. Artists and authors from around the world are encouraged to use their imagination. Along with their artwork or literary work, students must complete a submission entry form (see link below for Guidelines and Entry Form) and on the form they will be asked to briefly discuss their inspiration based on the the theme and the following questions: What is your vision of peace? How does connecting globally allow you and your community to prosper?
- Each participating student author must be between 13 and 18 years on May 1, 2016 (per SCI eligibility guidelines)
- Each participant is allowed to submit only one entry.
- Entries must be sent with a completed official entry form.
- Entries may be submitted earlier but no later than Monday, February 26th, 3:00pm to the NSCA Office, 232 E. Main St., Norfolk.
Criteria & Specifications:
Category: Artwork/2D Media
- Only two-dimensional artwork, no larger than 24” x 30” (60cm x 75cm), is accepted. All 2D media is eligible.
- Entries that use copyrighted or trademarked images will not be accepted.
- Entries must not be plagiarized, stolen, or copied from any other source. Entries from previous years will not be accepted. Entries must not defame or invade the rights of any person, living or dead. Entries not adhering to these guidelines will not be considered.
Category: Essay or Poem
- Participants are encouraged to creatively, yet succinctly express the theme.
- Essays are not to exceed 500 words, and poetry is not to exceed 25 lines.
- All work must be original and inspired by the theme. Entries may not be plagiarized, stolen, or copied from any other source and must not defame or invade the rights of any person.
- All entries must be typed in English—please submit a hard copy and a digital copy
- Judges will evaluate entries on theme interpretation, composition, and grammar.
- 1st place Essay $100, and piece will advance to Sister Cities International Showcase
- 1st place Poetry $100, and piece will advance to Sister Cities International Showcase
- 1st place Artwork $100, and piece will advance to Sister Cities International Showcase
- 2nd and 3rd place prizes will be awarded in each category as well.
- All participants will be recognized at an NSCA reception in mid-March (tentative)
For more information or questions, please contact:
Norfolk Sister Cities Association
(For information on Sister Cities International’s Young Artist or Authors guidelines and awards visit: www.sister-cities.org/programs)